As a foreign student, you can look forward to the new experience of living in one of the most exciting cities in the world. But first, you must attend to:

    • Obtaining a Student Visa
    • Insurance and Housing
    • Choosing a Language Course

For more information on the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student, please click the link below.

Study in the States


Obtaining a Student Visa

To be admitted to study in the United States, all non-immigrant students must follow two steps:

First, you must apply to NYLC for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility which verifies that you will be attending school in the United States. You MUST enroll in the Intensive Language Program (ILP) in order to qualify for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. Please note: We will only provide I-20 Certificates to student who satisfy all requirements.

Apply for an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility

Register for Intensive Language Program (ILP)

Once you receive the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from NYLC, you must apply to the U.S. government for an F-1 student visa. Visas are available from the United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Please note: You will NOT be considered for a student visa unless you have obtained an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility.


Insurance and Housing

Insurance: With a proper international student insurance plan, you will protect yourself from the high costs of an unexpected injury or illness.

Housing: As with any large city, housing in New York can be expensive and difficult to find. However, with patience and perseverance, most of our students find reasonably priced housing in nice, safe neighborhoods such as Brooklyn and Queens, where rents are significantly lower than on Manhattan. Such neighborhoods offer a comfortable environment and easy access to the excitement of Manhattan via bus and subway.


Choosing a Language Course

To qualify for a student visa, foreign students MUST enroll in our Intensive Language Program.* Upon completion of the program, students will note a marked improvement in their English proficiency.

*The U.S. government requires that all students holding an F1 student visa or F1 status be enrolled in a minimum of 18 hours of coursework per week.

F-1 Transfer Students

Contact us at and learn about our special prices and discounts for F-1 Transfer Students.